10 WAYS TO INTEGRATE STRESS RELIEF INTO YOUR EVERYDAY LIFE
If you’ve ever been my client or in one of my group yoga classes, you’ve heard me teach that your practice does not have to be something you try to do separately from the rest of your life.
You do not have to commit a lot of time.
You do not have to have change clothes.
You do not have to roll out a yoga mat or have a special cushion.
It does not have to be quiet.
I’ve shared a practice I call Pause N.O.W. (Read about it here.) which is an incredibly simple way to relieve stress in everyday situations.
Here are 10 ways to integrate the Pause N.O.W. practice into your day:
- During your commute. In your car or on the bus. In traffic. At stop lights.
- Between tasks. Finish one thing, pause, start the next thing.
- When you’re waiting. In line at the grocery store. For an elevator. For an appointment.
- Just before getting on Facebook. Or other social media, online news outlet, or video game.
- With other routines. In the shower. While your pooping. Or washing dishes.
- Before eating. Sit, pause, enjoy your meal.
- When you can’t sleep. This will help way more than counting sheep.
- Before losing your cool. This can be a hard time to pause, but you won’t regret trying.
- In yoga class. In the moments before class starts. During a hard posture. Savasana.
- First thing in the morning. A mini-meditation and intention-setting all in one!
When we’re starting a new practice habit, we need a reminder.
Here are 2 ideas:
- Post-it notes. Write a simple reminder that will help you know what to do and put it in your car, on your alarm clock, on the bathroom mirror, on your iPad, at the kitchen sink, on your dinner plate, you get the idea.
- Smartphone reminders. Set a reminder for a particular day or time, or a location you frequent. Or even use the habit (that SO many of us have) of randomly pulling out the phone to check email, facebook, the news, etc to Pause N.O.W. first.
And a bit of guidance helps a lot too.
To make it as easy as possible for you to practice this during your day, here’s an audio recording of the Pause N.O.W. practice for you to download and keep on your phone.
And check out how I can guide and support you in learning and implementing making stress relief an everyday habit through my online program Shift Happens.
NOW YOU TELL ME, IS THERE A SPECIFIC TIME OF DAY YOU CONSCIOUSLY GET QUIET? WHAT ARE YOU OBSTACLES TO PAUSING? WHAT DO YOU SEE AS THE BIGGEST BENEFIT TO MAKING THIS A HABIT? LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.
HI, I’M STEPHANNIE.
I’m a Certified Yoga Therapist on a mission to make yogic wisdom, movements and breathing practices simple so that you can make them part of your routine and be less stressed, more confident, and experience more cam every single day.
LEARN MORE ABOUT:
GET A SIMPLE, THERAPEUTIC YOGA PRACTICE THAT'S JUST RIGHT FOR YOUR UNIQUE STRESS TYPE.
LET ME HELP YOU
Subscribe to get my latest content, full of free guidance and support, delivered directly to your inbox.